Sunday, February 3, 2008

Romeo almost 2

Last August I volunteered to be a foster mom for doggies that were between homes. I got a call a week later from the group saying PLEASE take this little dog. We have no home for him. He looked pretty shabby. One potential permanent home turned him down. I'm sure they thought he would cost a fortune in vet bills. When I first saw our little boy he was tied to a long leash connected to a washline and barked nonstop. I went over to him, picked him up and felt his little heart racing and his whole body shook like he was half frozen. It was August and a nice warm day. He was frightened to death! He stopped barking immediately. I fell in love with this little guy before I got him to the car. A few months later and he is cute as a bug. Look for yourself:





Romeo almost 2
Originally uploaded by MaidMarian

He had a name that was quite acceptable, but sounded too "girlie" to me. I decided to name him Romeo, or Romy for short. He's a smart little guy and learned his name quickly.

Now you are probably looking at his sweet little face and scrawny legs and wondering to yourself, "What's that black box doing on his neck?" Ahem! Yes, it is a shock collar. No, I don't shock him on purpose. If he wanders too far away from the house he hears a warning beep and if he chooses to ignore the beep, he does get a little shock. He does not wander. BUT, if I take that little collar off, Mr. Romeo Smartypants knows the deal. He runs like wind with the biggest grin on his face you can imagine. There is nothing he enjoys more than having us chase him around the Village of Sherwood for hours. Catching him usually involves small children and always other dogs. My dh and I need to hide for if he gets a glimpse of us the chase begins anew. I can't believe how fast that little buggar is. I wish I could let him run but I could never forgive myself if he were to be struck by a car.


1 comment:

Eileen said...

Oh what a precious dog! How sad that he was so scared. I'm so glad he's in a good home right now. :-)

Thanks for adding me to your friends in Ravelry - I just added you to mine.

Have a great weekend!